My summer plantings didn't do as well as I had hoped. Being that they were planted in soil that had possibly never grown anything but weeds my expectations were probably far too high. I got more tomatoes during the summer than I ever have before so really for me it was pretty fantastic. I think the difficulty is that my gardening goal is to produce enough veggies to live off but that's something to work towards, not something that I can necessarily achieve just yet.
One day that will happen. One day we will be in our forever house.
Benny and I talk about a little farm house on the outskirts of Kadina. I'll have sheep for wool, he wants honey bees. There will be infinite space for my veggies and the soil will get better year after year.
For now I build up this soil to make it healthy with the knowledge that about the time the soil finally fills with worms and gets truly productive we will be ready to move on. Like at our last house. The good healthy soil I tended to had turned from clay to soft wormy loam and now its covered with pavers (they have no side fence and ill admit to occasional snooping and reminiscing as I walk past:) I love where we are and also look forward to moving on. Its a lesson in patience and letting go, to put so much love into a garden knowing that we wont be here long term but its worth it for the food and fulfilment in the meantime
| a tea cup pot my friend Kylie gave me as a 'just because' present. It makes me think of her and the tea parties we love to have together . Its planted with oregano and thyme |
Sometimes I think back to when we moved in and feel pretty amazed and full of joy that this section of unused empty land is now well on its way to being a healthy and productive veggie patch. Dirt is pretty amazing stuff, each seed that sprouts is incredible
I look at these fluffy little veggie patch helpers and I remember reading the book that inspired me to get chickens. I was sitting in my hammock under the shade of the big orange tree at Mum and Dads. I had borrowed some gardening books from the library and one was about permaculture. I was so inspired reading about the chickens, how helpful they are in a garden. My neighbour had chickens so I went next door to find out about taking care of them. A few weeks later I had my very first chickens and my very first fresh egg!
Its good to remember that I'm slowly on the path to self sufficiency and although its not a fast path I will get closer and closer
Here is our first row of peas for the year, I noticed today that the first peas on another row are popping up too
Its a good feeling to focus on what I have now. Its all good
oh karen we feel exactly the same way. rental house after rental house. not in the same place long enough to make it feel real. moving for the money. 6 more months for us to deal with it, and it sure does help to get out and garden. sending hugs, angela
ReplyDelete"bloom where I've been planted" love this line!!!! That is all we can do. Dreams keep us going, keep us moving forward doing what we need to do to reach them. Bloom where you are now but keep reaching for the dreams...it will all come, with time.
ReplyDeleteHi Karen
ReplyDeleteYou look like you are doing just dandy in your veggie garden. It took us a while too and now we cook from our veggie garden every day. I also just love using my own herbs. Seeing a herb garden mature into large rosemary bushes and tall bay leaf trees is so rewarding. have you tried to plant an elderflower bush? we just love elderflower cordial.. I have a 'Joy' spinning wheel and I love it! It is my first spinning wheel so it feels good to me. I am so relaxed with my spinning that this is just the perfect wheel for me. I have however never spun on a traditional ashford before and some say they dont like the joy but I do. I whip it out wherever I am and spin.
Happy choosing and whatever one you choose I am sure you will love it.
Have a great day
Suzanne
X
wow!! i have to admit i'm slightly jealous of your gardening success!! :)
ReplyDeleteand you have fluffy chicken, how cool is that!
the place we're renting is really nice and we have some space, but so hard to grow anything decent in the clay (not dirt!). i ended up doing a lot of planting in pots, better than nothing, right?
Dirt really is amazing stuff. I love your tea cup pot. :-)
ReplyDelete