Monique at A glass half full invited me to join her and others in making a 'happy' list a little while ago, here's whats making me happy lately
*1- The rain watering my garden for me (it can feel free to do that all year long)
*2- Benny. He always makes me happy. Hes been working extra, afternoon shifts for the past month or so, as weal as regular Saturdays because two electricians at his work left at the same time. I miss having him home every arvo (we usually both finish work at 3) but i appreciate the time we do have together more than ever.
*3-Three happy little churpers. The chicks seem to be doubling in size daily, wont be long and they'll be big enough to live outside. They love cuddling up on my lap, snuggling into each other.
*4- Reading books by candle light.
*5-My veggie patch is going pretty nuts at the moment. Lots of lettuce, spinach, Chinese cabbage, beetroots wont be much longer.
*6-Meditating regularly is making me feel calm and joyus
*7- Little bits and pieces of making, drawing. Nothing finished recently but lots of works in progress
*8-Porrige is my latest obsession, at least once a day, usually for desert. Oats and chia seeds cooked in milk, drizzled with honey, yum. I often have food fazes, always have. I guess my body all of a sudden feels lacking in whatever nutrients.
*9-Visiting a new shop with mum full of crystals, rainbow things, and wind chimes.
*10- A clean house. I don't necessarily like the cleaning part, but i love my house when its nice and clean and we haven't yet had a chance to mess it up. But we also like living in this house of ours... (a "lived in" house is nice too.
I made this wet felted ball the other day, needle felted stars and blue on it and then wet felted the pattern today. It was a lot of fun. The kids i look after were fascinated, watching me wet felt it but had no interest in getting soap suds on their hands. Funny how kids are full of surprises (they always love playing with bubbles and water outside!)
Ever since finding out about the $350 grant money I'm getting for my day care I've been thinking hard about how i will best use it.
My heart wants to focus on replacing plastic toys I have with natural toys and craft materials as weal as some new books (Waldorf story books)
My head says- well you've already got lots of inside toys that do the job, why not buy a big and impressive looking piece of plastic (cubby house or whatever) for outside? The kids would love it and it would look good for new families that come and are deciding if they want to put their kids in day care.
Hmmm.... I'm glad that I didn't get the money straight away as its given me time to think about it rather than spend it impulsively on the the first thing i saw.
I feel a bit weird about the change of my daycare "going green", even though its something I've dreamt of doing since i started doing daycare ( most of the toys i have are bought second hand or given to me so choice was limited)
I feel nervous as i know the family's that use my daycare are used to seeing plastic toys and i guess i feel worried that natural toys wont look as appealing to them.
I know what the answer is. When talking to my dad about the dilemma he had great advice as i knew he would. He said something along the lines of "do what makes your heart sing". I know that a piece of plastic would be another "thing" clogging up my life.
Natural enviro friendly toys and books would make me feel more peaceful and true to myself.

I can understand your quandry. I don't think your new items will matter much to your current families but when the time comes to find new families you might have a whole new clientele who might be interested because of your natural toys.
ReplyDeleteGreat list of happy Karen.
I agree with Monique, I think there are quite a few people that would prefer a "greener" style of daycare. Can you get a wooden cubby house or similar, or are they not allowed (or too expensive), I suppose a plastic one would be easier to keep clean and wouldn't have splinters etc. I would be happy if it rained after midnight and before 6 am all the time.
ReplyDelete