Monday, August 30, 2010

gardening and woodwork

My garden is going realy well. I am noticing more and more worms, there are seriously HEAPS! When we moved to the house there were none to be found but mum let me take lots of healthy soil from my old veggie patch at her house, along with the worms in it. I guess they've been happily multiplying as ive been adding goodies to the soil for them to eat.
 Benny scored me the two new wooden garden beds from work (they used to go around pallets or something) Ones already been filled with compost, chook poo, cow manure etc and planted, the other is my compost spot. I dont actually do 'propper' compost, its never worked for me (or perhaps im just too impatient, probably!) Instead i just dig food scraps onto the dirt as they are. My plants dont seem to mind that I 'dont do it right' In fact they seem quite pleased with my way and reward me with yummy food treats anyway.
The new little chickies have got their feathers already and happily wonder the garden and sleep outside. They each have their own little personality and were becoming good friends. I can tell them apart if I look closely. Isabella is lighter in colour, Lavendar has a little brown line by her eye and Gracie is the one left after identifying those two!
Im going to be growing a sunflower and bean tee-pee with the day care kids. Ive put up the structure, tomorrow ill prepare the soil and ill plant it with them at the end of the week.
Ive also been making some more toys, the children and some animals from 'Children Of The Forest' book. I think the owl is my favourite. Benny bought me a wood burner which is realy fun, I loved wood burning my projects in tech class at school, its bringing back great memories. Last time I painted with acrilyc paints but I'd rather use more natural colouring, does anyone know what i could use?
And one last pic of chooks and veggies and sunshine. Its beginning to feel like spring!

6 comments:

  1. Your gardens look so great :) This post brought a smile to my face. Hope you're having a nice day ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog. We have a lot in common. We want to get chickens next
    Spring...I am definitely going to check out your chicken links. I'll be back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're toys to match the Beskow book are beautiful! I'm so impressed. Lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The chook chooks look so happy. I'm so glad you guys finally have lots of nice green grass and plants coz i know how much you hated the dirt yard :P

    p.s. i'm still home, doc said no work till next week :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. isn't the weather gorgeous. i can't believe how big your chickens are now! they were so little before and now they are almost big!
    our chicks got out because a friend didn't close the gate properly. we now let them free range when we have time to supervise as we don't have adequate fencing and i'd hate for them to get out!
    we have more rain coming this week, but i'm sure there are plenty of sunny days ahead of us - and we need all the rain we can get!
    see you soon?
    l
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my god, I love this book!! I remember reading it again and again when I was younger, and pouring over the illustrations. Thank you for the memories, Karen. It's always a pleasure coming back to your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete