Tuesday, June 12, 2012

going cloth so far

Yesterday was our first day trying out the cloth nappies. It went great and as people have said, they truly are easy. Xavier was happy in them and he was extra cuddly with his soft cloth padding:)
I used 3 hemp inserts per pocket nappy (9 layers total) because they had only been washed twice so aren't as absorbent as they will be. We had no leaks and flushable bamboo nappy liners worked perfectly
 I had gotten a bit overwhelmed by all the washing advice on-line about washing with this and not washing with that, mostly all contradicting something that I'd already read so the comments on my last post were very helpful! I will wash on the first and third day, cold rinse, warm wash with 1/2 measure earth choice, 2 extra rinses
 I made some extra hemp inserts, these ones are long 2 layer ones for extra quick drying. Even though its cold here I haven't had trouble getting them dry on the line anyway, I hung these yesterday at about 5pm and got them off this morning so I shouldn't need the drier often
I had my first attempt at making a nappy based on this tutorial. Its a fitted pocket nappy with bamboo velour outer, hemp inner. No fastening as I didn't have anything to use but I think it will be OK under waterproof pants I have from the opp shop.
I have quite a bit of hemp, some 'PUL' waterproof fabric that I bought a while ago for nappy mats (I presumed it was wipe clean fabric which it isn't) and also bamboo velour which is apparently also quite good for nappies so apart from getting velcro and elastic they will be not only free but will also mean extra room in my craft cupboard. Stay tuned for nappy making once my elastic and velcro arrive in the post!

6 comments:

  1. i wash mine together with other laundry fairly often now that she's down to only wetting diapers at night. i don't think it's gross. some might. only downside is that the velcro-tabbed diapers collect lint from the other clothes. i'm transitioning to using snap diapers though, so it's not so much an issue. congrats on the change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second what Mary said about velcro. We have animals - kids on the floor in velcro diapers + pet hair = velcro that doesn't work very well (and has to be cleaned, which I detest).

    Also! Bamboo velour! Yes! In my humble opinion it makes *the best* diapers (and mama cloth). In fact, I'm off to see about acquiring more diapers for my boys today (we buy about a dozen every year and a half for the two of them - with luck I'll be down to one diapered toddler soon).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same problem with velcro after a few years of use and ended up taking the velcro out and adding snaps with my snap press. but I wonder if you could use Snappi Cloth Diaper Fasteners on your bamboo diapers under a cover. We use them for our prefold diapers and they are really awesome because their quick to fasten.
    Your washing system seems perfect you'll find a cloth diaper groove and be completely hooked in no time:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok i have to suggest this one diaper http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/workhorse.htm it is amazing! super absorbent, dries well and works great with or without a cover. LOVE THEM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh how i miss my line of freshly washed nappies. it was such a happy warm feeling. But my boys are growing up and that is all but a memory now :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic! I love cloth diapering, people do make it harder than it needs to be. You are going to be a great mama someday! :"

    ReplyDelete