Last Wednesday we had our first appointment at our new fertility clinic, Repromed.
We had a lovely doctor who discussed with us what we had tried and what our next options are. We had a few options but we decided that IVF would be the best way to go seems it has the best chance of working and given how far we are from the clinic (2 hours) and the costs of all the procedures
Tomorrow I go back to have bloods done to see what dosages I will need of all the drugs. I also need another internal ultra sound as my last one was a few years ago.
After that we have an appointment booked for the 23rd of April to chat with our doctor about the results and schedule our IVF!
I asked how long the wait is and she said when were ready for it we can start as soon as my next cycle begins. How wonderful/terrifying!
It's crazy to think that after waiting all this time (5 years) there is a good chance that I could be pregnant in a few months.
I'm really excited and obviously pretty scared. I've been re watching my favourite you tube IVF diaries and seeing all the needles and procedures together is a bit overwhelming but when I think of each individual thing it doesn't seem quite so bad. I think ill just need to take each day as it comes and try not to think too much about whats yet to come.
I have a few worries about what i.m going to be like for day care. I wonder how the hormones will make me feel and act, weather to tell the parents that were doing IVF, how many days off ill need to take
I'm worried that on all the hormones ill have less patience with the kids, not be able to cope as well etc.
I don't know if I should tell the parents i'm doing IVF, my fear is that they would think it would be inconvenient to them and change day cares. I'm almost certain this is a completely irrational fear as I have a great group of families who are kind, understanding and always giving nice comments about my day care, but I put so much love into my day care, its so important to me and its one of my first thoughts. Its hard to say if its necessary to tell them or not. If I have minimal days off and cope with the drugs ok they probably wouldn't need to know but if I don't cope well or have a complication like ovarian hyper stimulation syndrome I might wish I had told them
Oh weal, I've got a bit of time left to decide. It really is getting quite exciting!
Exciting! I think your last blog entry ate my comment so hopefully this one will show. You'll need to take egg collection day off, plus the day before if you make lots of eggs (you'll feel them sloshing around! So wierd! and the trigger shot made my many eggs feel like I had a beach ball tummy so if you trigger on Monday night you'll need Tuesday, Wednesday (egg collection day) and maybe Thursday off. And of course transfer day - but don't freak that you have to be on bed rest after transfer day cos it really isn't necessary. The drugs made me hungry and want to punch Dave in the face for no reason but otherwise you'll hopefully feel normal. Don't tell the parents unless you find you have to, theres possibly no need to and you'll know at the start of the cycle when ec and transfer are likely to be so you can plan ahead.
ReplyDeleteAnd what I wrote yesterday - needle dead straight at 90 degrees, makes it hurt so much less. Dont use alcohol swabs every time, makes it hurt more. And count to 3 before you remove the needle from the skin or the drug will leak out. And hirudoid cream for bruising (Dave and I both had clexane last year, like Benny is probably on and that stuff stings and bruises!). And just remember those drugs you inject are growing babies!!
Thanks Steph, I really appreciate the advice and will be scrolling back on your blog again to see your Ivf (of course looking forward to getting to the nicest part will be when I get to the end and you get pregnant and have beautiful holly :)
DeleteInitially I thought I would have to have loads of days off to go for blood tests but I remembered they said I can get them done locally so I think ill not tell them, hopefully it doesn't affect my day care too much. I was suprised benny didn't have alcahol swabs. Yes he had clexane too and hated the stingign. Are any of the ones ill have as bad as that?
Hope all goes well Karen, fingers crossed for you both.
ReplyDeleteTake care.
thanks Emma! you take care too xx
DeleteYa! To you I Hope you have some good news to share soon xxxx
ReplyDeleteThanks Emma, fingers crossed that i'm sharing ultra sound pics very soon. Its so exciting that our dream could come true so soon:)
DeletePs: Please feel free to write me if you have any questions or just want to vent :)
ReplyDeleteOoops, my first comment didn't publish! I basically just say hooray, how exciting! Those times feel like just yesterday to me, I remember them fondly. I found the subcutaneous shots really didn't hurt, even with alcohol. The most painful was the trigger the night before harvest, which was totally worth it regardless.. :) I took 3-4 days off after transfer (although most clinics say you only need bedrest 12-48 hours) but it really seemed worth it to me, and was a nice relaxing time that I could focus on positive thoughts and affirmations.
ReplyDeleteMy fingers are crossed for you and eyes to the sky. Be well and I sure hope to hear a good news post one day very soon. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks April, I like that you say you remember it fondly, It makes me think of myself looking back on this all with my baby in my arms. I go between feeling so positive about it working to wondering if we will be some of the unlucky ones that it doesn't work for. Time will tell but at least we will know we tried. Good to know that you didn't find the needles too bad
ReplyDeleteThanks Mercy, I can do with all the crossed fingers I can get. Very much hoping to have good news to share soon!
ReplyDelete