Tuesday, December 2, 2014

4 weeks 5 days pregnant

We got great blood test results yesterday, hcg 451, progesterone 180. (last 2 cycles my hcg was 9 and 20) I'm still in complete shock that i'm actually pregnant!
When my doctor went on to start discussing growth ultrasounds and booking to start seeing an obstetrician it was the wierdest feeling in the world. Although I knew that came next it was just so wierd, the thought of me- the one always wishing to be pregnant but never actually getting pregnant- going to a pregnancy doctor, I felt like it was in a dream and to be quite honest I feel quite unprepared. I got off the phone and thought, do I see a gp first? or is that just if you need to confirm pregnancy before seeing one? do I see a midwife instead? I feel kind of silly to after all this time of research and googling about baby related things to feel rather clueless as to what I do now that i'm actually pregnant ha but It will be fine i'll make some phone calls and figure it out. I actually recently started looking after the baby of a local midwife. She's really nice and i'd love to have her but I think i'd rather go to someone I don't know for a little bit in the beginning at least until we have a first scan and make sure baby is ok. And her baby's only been in day care 2 weeks so it would probably be nice if I don't have to spring on her that i'm pregnant just yet!
I can hardly believe this is actually happening, that I have a tiny poppy seed sized baby inside me. I'm of course scared that it's so early and a lot of babies don't make it but even if the worst were to happen this would still feel like a huge monumental step in the right direction. I feel like it would be quite likely that we would get pregnant easily now that we have discovered that the steroid prednisilone works for me. Either that or I just got lucky with the right embryo this time but either way, this is farther than I've ever come before and no matter the outcome it will still feel like a huge leap towards our goal, even if we had to start trying again we would be trying with the knowledge that I can get pregnant with a very promising hcg that indicates a lasting pregnancy which is so much better that trying but not knowing if I ever could. This is massive. I cant believe that I will never again have to wonder if my body is capable of getting propperly pregnant. I can't believe that we are so close to our dream, that it's growing in my belly right now. This dream that I dreamt for so long is right here with me after all these years. I had accepted that I quite possibly wouldn't be pregnant in 2014 like I had hoped, I was planning for another year of ivf, the new tests that we would be doing if this cycle didn't work but instead I get to plan for a baby. Our baby. Instead I get to go into target and choose out tiny clothes for a baby that finally exists. Long sleeves for 0-3 month size, short sleeves for 3-6 months, a few 0000 size because Benny is sure that we will have a prem baby (ivf babies are more likely to be prem plus he, his sister, niece and nephew all came early so he's quite possibly right) This is crazy, a dream, something that has felt out of reach for so long, yet here it is. I get to soak it in and start new dreams knowing that a little baby will most likely be part of them come the 9th of august next year


13 comments:

  1. Oh Karen, all those overwhelming feelings are tumbling out in your words. I am so happy for you that you now know the feeling of being pregnant. Well done! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou, it's so exciting after all this time :)

      Delete
  2. Wishing you a healthy and happy pregnancy. I have followed your blog for a while, loving your Waldorf -like way of running your daycare, and have read of your challenges with regards to pregnancy. So happy for you! Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful news Karen!!! wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks emma, i'm so excited to have wonderful news to share with you all after all this time :)

      Delete
  4. Ya! wonderful i have been following your journey on here this is fantastic news i hope you have a truely beautiful pregnancy and birth xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so very happy for you! Here's to a happy and healthy pregnancy!
    I have been reading your blog for quite a while and I was also going through IVFs shortly followed by miscarriages, about the same time of you, so I understand how it feels. I'm a bit behind you this time, just had a transfer two days ago and my RE has put me on a steroid this time as well. I'm taking prednisone 5mg, although a second doctor has recommended I increase that to 10mg. How much are you on and for how long will you be on it?
    Congratulations again and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my fingers are so crossed that you have good news too, if not this time than next time. I'm so glad to have been put on prednisilone, it seems to have helped so many and is what I assume I have to thank for our miracle! (either that or luck and just stumbling on the right embryo)

      Delete
  6. Karen, I have read your lovely blog for a number of years now and been so inspired by your creativity and the beautiful atmosphere of your home Nursery. So happy to hear this news! Sending you all my very best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what lovely words, i';m glad you enjoy my blog :) thankyou

      Delete
  7. Just a random follower, thrilled for your news and wishing you much joy ahead. I recommend the longest shortest time podcast and pregtastic podcast!

    ReplyDelete