Reality is quite different and while i'm excited I also have way more fear than I expected. Not that i'm sitting around worrying regularly, it's more a fear that's small but constant. I usually feel calm and excited but there is still the 'what if' that stops me from relaxing too much or getting too excited . I feel a lot better than before the first scan. I know that the odds are really good for me to have a healthy baby but I guess it's more that I never can know for sure, that makes me feel like I can't truly be excited like i'd like to be. I'm sure as I get further along, even just past 12 weeks it will start feeling more and more certain that I really will have a baby but at the moment, although I have a connection to the the beautiful little bean that I know is there and I have a collection of little clothes that are far too big to fit that tiny little bean it still surprises me and I feel uncertain to think that this bean will grow into those clothes and be a real baby. I feel like i'm constantly thinking 'hopefully' and 'probably' and i'm hoping it's not too much longer until I start believing that our bean will make it. I know it's not going to be definite until i'm holding our healthy baby but I just wish I could be blissfully unaware of all the things that there is a small chance of going wrong so that I could fully enjoy this and just deal with what happens if it happens.
I had my first OB appointment on Wednesday and it was bulk billed (free) which I wasn't expecting. I'd been planning to buy or hire a heart beat doppler to ease my worrying but as I haven't got most of my pays in since before Christmas moneys been focused on necessities (parents need to sign them and a few of the children were sick so didn't come the last few days so i'll get them but just very late!) I decided that seems I wasn't expecting to have that extra money to use it for a doppler and as soon as I ordered it I felt relieved. To be honest our first scan wasn't really as lovely as I expected. Friends asked if we teared up and got emotional. No. I was so scared and prepared for bad news that I was well out of the room before it sunk in that there was a healthy baby with a heart beat on the screen. For a few days I felt reassured that all was fine and then I went back to worrying that the little heart could have stopped beating and I wouldn't know for weeks until the next scan. I feel really excited that I will be able to check regularly to reassure myself that all is fine. If something is going to go wrong I can't change it but at least this way if all is fine I will know that and be able to relax more and enjoy the pregnancy more knowing that I have more recent confirmation that our baby is still ok. I feel a bit silly and paranoid to be quite as worried as I am but I guess that's probably just what happens when you spend so many years wondering if you will ever be able to have a baby, it just takes a long time to sink in and feel real. It's so hard to believe that I don't think I truly do yet
In more positive news, I've been enjoying pregnancy yoga and meditations on you tube
Don't feel bad, your nervousness is completely justified after everything thing you have been through. Can't wait till Chalupa is here so you feel better, hopefully the next few months fly by & you can feel more happy & relaxed xx
ReplyDeleteLove you lots xx
So precious Karen. Holding you in my prayers and best wishes.
DeleteSo thrilled for you! so much so.
ReplyDelete