Thursday, June 16, 2011

The meditation that is hand stitching

 Yesterday mum came over and we had a stitching day! Its so fun to chat as we both work on our own projects

 I was of course working away at my Garden Journal quilt. Call me crazy but I've decided to hand stitch it. Because who cant see the fun in hand stitching all 210 of the tiny 1.5" squares?:)
 This is my progress so far. Probably too much progress for someone who's supposed to be busy packing boxes to move house tomorrow! but anyhow...
Ive also been attempting to card some of my angora rabbit Willow's fur ready to spin. I still need to google some instructions on how to use my new carders but that might happen in the new house. The carders are from my sponsor Carcoar Pottery and The Humming Alpaca. I was happy when I received them to see that they were unfinished so I could seal them with beeswax polish. They smell so good now!
For anyone who's not entered yet, here's a link to a giveaway of Greener shades dyes on my blog this week, entries close Sunday night

16 comments:

  1. Your quilt is lovely. Best of luck with the move tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a lovely way to spend the day!
    good luck with the carding :)
    l
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lyra and I are making a multiplication quilt ( 100 different squares in table form). We also decided to hand-stitch. Its fun, and portable. If we didn't hand-stitch I couldnt take it to the park! And I love seeing that pretty little row.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would definitely want to be quilting or knitting instead of packing :)

    I love the little chick stitch!

    Good luck with your move.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love everything about this post from the quality time that you & your mom are spending together to the pretty fabric squares you've chosen to the deliberateness of hand stitching :) I hope you show the final picture when you're finished.
    Much Peace
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are doing such a great job! I am thinking of doing some little art quilts. Let me know how the hand stitching goes for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an inviting image, it looks like such a nice visit! Happy Creative Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt is coming along beautifully. How nice to be able to spend that time with your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your quilt! Hand stitching, how awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is looking so gorgeous! That is simply not my forte, but how I envy those of you that do it well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As usual your work is beautiful. I love the picture with you and your mum making things.

    What do you think about doing a post about your rabbit and the process of getting her fur to yarn? I for one would love to see it... :)

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like sewing heaven to me.
    I love hand stitching (when I get the time ;)
    That quilt is going to be so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like so much fun! And your quilt looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, I have just bought a book (waiting on Amazon is such fun), on quilting for beginners. I am so excited, there are so many amazing examples in blogland I just 'need' to have a go.
    Your look fabulous.
    V
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful peasy cardigan and a BEAUTIFUL wee quilt!

    xo

    ReplyDelete