Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Yarn along

Two years ago i knitted this peasy cardigan
  I was never very happy with the colour as id bought the wool online and the colour wasn't what I expected (I'm not sure if you can tell its sort of a khaki green colour). I decided to dye it blue instead
 First time I pulled it out of the dye pot I washed it and it was an even uglier green! Thankfully after anther soak with extra colour added it came out just right
So perfect in fact that when I pulled it out the colour looked familiar. I went and got my favourite beanie that my Oma knitted me a few years ago and realised that they were almost a perfect match! I love it and I'm so pleased that I finally got around to dying it.
Considering I admitted that I finished knitting the peasy two years ago I better stop cheating and post something that I am still knitting:) Ive begun a citron shawl with the left over yarn from my grey cardi. I love this yarn and I'm loving this easy pattern

For my birthday that's coming up in a month and a half Benny's getting me a spinning wheel and I'm wondering what to get. Ive spun a little before but the wheel I have is rather shall we say 'antique'.  



I'm wanting to get an Ashford and I'm thinking a Kiwi or Joy. Id like a kiwi because I've heard they're good for beginners, I like that they are mostly solid wood and id love to paint the wheel.
On the other hand I'm wondering if a Joy would grow with my ability longer as I get better at spinning (not sure about this, opinions..?) I love that it folds up as our house is fairly small and half taken over by my daycare. I also think the larger bobbin size would be good.

Benny loves the look of the Joy because its more modern looking I suppose but I kind of love the cuteness of the Kiwi.
Price isn't too much of a problem as I've been saving extra so that I can make up the difference if I decide to go with the Joy.
If anyone has experience with these wheels or opinion id love to know what you think would suit a beginner with a small amount of experience best. It would be helpful as I've been obsessing over the decision just a little!

anyhow, happy Yarn Along!

14 comments:

  1. Wow, how cool is that, love the colour blue too!

    Your shawl looks amazing. Can't help with the spinning wheel, but do wish I was getting one :) Can't wait to see it once you get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why I always forget about the dying fix!!! Your sweater is really perfect!!!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think whatever wheel you get will be fine, you will learn it's ways and be able to produce your own yarn. I have an Ashford Traditional, and is lovely, but then I have never tried anything else. And it really doesn't take up much space, just sits in the corner of the dining room waiting for me to pull it out and have a spin.

    Lovely colour for the cardigan too. What dye did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find that the Kiwi is small enough even though it doesn't fold. I carrying it all over the house, actually (1200 square foot house, three little boys, nine indoor cats, a dog, and two adults - to give you an idea of the chaos my wheel contends with). And this weekend, weather permitting, I intend to spin outside.

    Price was a huge factor for us, so the Kiwi fit in every single way. I'm not as familiar with the Joy (because it was out of our price range). My suggestion would be to ask a local guild or group. Find some spinning communities online and get their opinions. Read reviews. And then toss it all out and go with what your heart tells you is the wheel for you. (:

    By the way, I love that the buttons on your sweater ended up dyed as well. It makes it so very perfect. (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Youa re so brave to dye yarn! I have the peasy cardi in my queue. I need to start one, because yours is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. karen you are adorable! i loved your grey peasy and now i love the blue with your matching oma beanie too! love the buttons! and i'm so impressed you dyed it to get just what you want.
    i wish i knew anything about spinning, but i'm excited for you. my birthdays next month too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. your dye job turned out stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dying scares me. I have a few items I'd like to dye, but I just don't know if I'll like the final color. Your's looks really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog. I love the sweater before and after the dye. You are so brave to just go for it. It turned out awesome. It is great seeing another citron in progress. I am looking forward to getting to where you are on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that color blue! Beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cardi is a lovely colour , I love the 5 different buttons. Fringe looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the way you rescued your sweater and hat...and those buttons!! Yummy! XXO-

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your cardigan dyed up real well. I love doing things like that.

    I'm sure you will like both wheels. However, everyone I know who got the Kiwi ended up selling it and moving up to the Joy and they love it. If you can spend the extra $, the Joy is probably the better option.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your cardi is so pretty, and the blue suits you perfectly. It couldn't look more perfect with the hat!

    ReplyDelete