Monday, October 1, 2012

patchwork pram liners

(I resisted the urge to call this post 'Pimp my mountain buggy":)
I had a few fabrics in mind to make these liners for our new mountain buggy duet pram but when I pulled out the fabrics I didn't have enough of any of them! I reluctantly cut squares to piece together. Far too much work for pram liners but I didn't want to wait and buy more fabric. Because I'm impatient. 
The two fabrics are by Amy Butler. I'm not sure what they are called but I got them on sale for about half off a while back.
 I started by stitching two thirds of the squares together as pairs one after the other to save time and cotton not having to cut and start fresh each time. They looked like pretty bunting
 I then went along and added the remaining squares to the end of each pair
 I snipped them apart and ironed them ready for the strips to be sewn together
 The fur ball kept me company and tested the pram for comfort. He said it was pretty cozy.
Mishka is obsessed with small spaces and places he can guess I would rather not be covered in his fur so naturally he is in the new pram every time I turn around
I layered the patched fabric, bamboo quilt batting and some flannelette from and old sheet right sides together. I traced around a bowl to get nice rounded corners. Next was time to sew around the edges, leaving a gap to turn it back the right way. Once the right way I hand stitched the gap and top stitched around the edge and machine quilted the squares. I backed them with an old plastic bed sheet as I tend to boost cloth nappies as little as necessary which results in the occasional pee through (I'm so going to stop doing that... anyhow)
I unthreaded the seat belts, marked where slits needed to be, cut and zig zag stitched around the edges and I was all done, ready to re thread the seat belts.
all nice and comfy cozy and most importantly- easy to wash

18 comments:

  1. Those pram liners are so beautiful. No wonder I love the fabric - Amy Butler drool.
    Mishka is a real cutie and I am sure he probably thinks the pram is for him...

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks. Yes Mishka thinks the pram as weal as my favorite couch spot are his. He knows who's boss and unfortunately its not me:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the alternate post title - thanks for the laugh out loud so early this morning - what a lovely way to start the day.

    your talent amazes me! beautiful covers.

    blessings
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im glad to make you laugh, it poped into my head and i couldnt resist adding it;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are smashing! I think you did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are beautiful and I am SO doing this when we get our stroller. Store bought liners cost a small fortune and are ugly too. It's so nice that you have something unique and fun to protect your investment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the bought ones are outrageously priced! A good thing though as it encourages us to make our own prettier ones:) I look forward to seeing yours

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look great! Such a great idea too :) Visiting through {CKKO}

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a totally amazing idea!! Thank you for sharing your great crafty-ness!

    xoxo!

    Blessings,
    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  10. They turned out so well - and it is such a pretty pattern :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look amazing Karen!But the thing that impresses me most is that you worked out how to get the seatbelts back through! xx Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol i know right! Helps having two seats so when one is pulled apart and your scratching your head there is a reference point;)

      Delete
  12. They are beautiful and I am SO doing this when we get our stroller. Store bought liners cost a small fortune and are ugly too. It's so nice that you have something unique and fun to protect your investment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are smashing!

    ReplyDelete