Sunday, February 9, 2014

Move, Nourish, Believe

I mentioned a while back that I joined the gym. 
When I joined I expected it to be a once a week visit with Benny's mum Sharon, just some thing to make me feel a bit more fit, nothing major.
What I didn't expect was to end up moving across the road from the gym, looking forward to all my favourite classes and getting there most days.
I'm not particularly surprised, I used to do taekwondo and absolutely loved it. It was a once a week class that motivated me to exercise daily, build up my strength and I remember feeling fantastic. 

I'm pleased to say that i'm already starting to feel great. I feel a happiness in my soul that I haven't felt in a long time. That's not to say I wasn't happy before, i'm pretty much always happy, but this is different. Its like a golden light of energy that radiates out and makes me feel so fulfilled. This is so good for me. Not just for my body but even more so for my mind. 
A lot of my motivation and inspiration lately has come from this site. I discovered Lorna Jane while looking for some new gym clothes (my one pair of comfy shorts just isn't going to cut it now that i'm going more often and gosh its been a long time since I needed a spots bra!) and found a lot more than just clothes. I've been inspired to change up my whole life style and ill be sharing some of the changes I've been making.

One thing i'm excited about is having a new goal. 
When I first read about setting goals I thought- erm.... to get fit? what more would I want? I don't really care to loose weight, I definitely didn't want big muscly arms and my body will presumably get a bit more toned anyway so that didn't seem like a necessary goal so I didn't think id bother having a goal.
As I've taken more classes I started to think a bit more on what I want to focus on. My favourite class is body balance (a mix of yoga, tai chi and pilates)
I've decided the things that i'm most interested in achieving are greater flexibility, balance and strength, (particularly in my weak little arms:)
My big goal is a goal I had a long time ago both when I did gymnastics years ago and also when I did taekwondo
Screen Shot 2013-08-13 at 11.19.06 AM
tumblr_mjfd8bLVaL1roqn2ro1_250_large
I have always wanted to be able to hold a hand stand. I will working on mastering 8 yoga poses to help me get to my goal and sharing my progress as I go. (as a record of my progress- as of today I can do 1 push up (lol:) hold a hand stand against the wall 30 seconds or so, hold a headstand against wall and a back bend about the same)

2 comments:

  1. Way to go I was a gym adict before children got back into after they were born but alas the last year I've had no time due to a lot of stuff but Hope to.be back into.my groove in the next few months. It does change you I agree my mental health is excellent when I hit the gym. Everything seems that much rosier and easyvto handle. I shall be watching your progress and I Hope to love every minute thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! I enjoy yoga so much. Looking forward to your updates.

    ReplyDelete