Thursday, August 4, 2011

Spring preparations

So, it was just days ago that I mentioned it was so warm here I was sure spring had come a month early. I'm sure you can guess what happened next. Yes a few cold rainy days of course!
Those few warm days were just enough to spark my enthusiasm for spring time preparations.
Ive been busy making some little spring root children from the book 'The Nature Corner'. I made felt for the dresses by wet felting organic merino wool rovings and dying them with eco friendly dyes. Dyes and wool rovings were from my sponsor The Humming Alpaca
 The first one is almost done. I'm not particularly happy with her head but I know ill learn from my mistakes and the second and third doll will be nicer. The second head Ive stuffed tighter so it should be a little chubbier and cuter.
Why yes I am still wearing my new cardigan and no I still haven't done its button band;)
I have been reading the story of the root children and we have been acting it out with our little dolls (which were needle felted by the very talented Kate, yay for swaps!) Its been a lot of fun
all of the decorations I made myself except the ostheimer tree and lamb

Ive also found all the spring decorations from last year.

I'm still deciding exactly how our spring celebration will go but I'm  thinking we will have a garden hunt. (inspired by Frontier Dreams)
I will hide
*the spring root children,
*some felt butterflies bees and ladybirds in the wet felted eggs(which we will hang on the wooden ring pictured above, to be a mobile for over our indoor table)
*and also some dyed eggs that we can eat for snack time.

I began my Waldorf journey around a year ago and now that we are having our second Waldorf inspired spring I can now see how fun and exciting it is having all these things packed up for three seasons to seem new again a year later. I know it will get more exciting as years go by when the treasures hold memories of seasons long ago.
I also found this frost child i made last year so he can be out for the next few weeks even though I think our frost is probably gone for this year (the beans I impatiently planted too early are hoping so anyway!)

22 comments:

  1. Spring blessings! I'm going to have to make some of the root children. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is also warming up here in South Africa, your creations are just so beautiful absolutley gorgeous!!
    Happy almost Spring:)
    Warmly
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous. I love the felt toys. My latest craft wish is to learn how to felt...I just bought a felting needle and am soon going to get some fleece.
    Those dolls are so cute.
    Happy spring
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) hmmm...happy spring :)
    it's the middle of summer here and I'm looking forward to autumn :D but one day when spring comes again, I'll have to make some decoration just like yours.
    lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely adorable and extremely creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, how creative, thanks for sharing:-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing..I am looking forward to fall right now:)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such cute little dolls, sweet and just the right size for little hands.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my...I am so glad to have found your blog! Your decorations are just beautiful and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so lovely. I've only attempted needle felting once but I do have some colored roving still, so I may have to try some things out. When you said spring had come a month early, I was wondering where you hail from - Australia. Right now, it's our summer and I'm sweating in all our humidity and high heat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, the root child is just lovely! All you beautiful Spring work too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a beautiful spring nature table. You're very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautiful!! I just love your root children!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful post! I love your little root children. I keep wanting to try my hand at doll making so I am very impressed by what you have shared.

    We are approaching fall and I can feel it in the air already. I hope you have a beautiful spring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such treasures you have created with your hands and heart! Gorgeous work. Lucky children of yours.

    Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your root children are just gorgeous. I can't wait to see your spring table display.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everything is so pretty, Karen! I'm looking forward to just the opposite here, Autumn! Working on new things and looking forward to pulling out some things for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love all of your work!! What wonderful little creations!! I have really enjoyed my copy of The Nature Corner since my children were very young- such an inspiring little book. Wonderful dolls!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. those little dolls are adorable! I am wanting, badly, to learn how to felt dolls like that too. so beautiful. time is not on my side these days though!

    :)
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are so talented!
    What an inspiring bunch of crafts :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your dolls are all so beautiful! You made the felt for their dresses? Oh my, I am so inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, what gorgeous little things you've made!

    ReplyDelete