Last night I had my very first go at preserving (canning)
I did some pears. I was pleased to learn that sugar isn't necessary to preserve them and they can be in just straight water. I used some lemon juice to ensure they had enough acidity for the water bath sterilisation method and a little honey for flavour. When I went to use my new (to me) pot I realised that it was so big it didn't fit on the biggest hotplate on our stove. Benny's dad suggested putting it half on two hotplates to speed it up which worked great. Being that it was my first ever go I plan on opening them soon just in case I didn't get it quite right. Pears and custard on the weekend Dad?
Here's my brekkie salad from the garden this morning. I cant wait for tomatoes and cucumbers to add!
Ive got about 20 tomato plants in at the moment and I'm wondering how many plants people usually have if they want to preserve enough for over winter.
Not that I could squeeze too many more in my little garden but just to get a bit of an idea about how much I might get and how many jars I might need.
This tomato was a winter one. I was quite amazed to have tomato plants in the garden over winter!
It didn't do much when the weather was cold but now that were getting a little warmth its thriving so we should have some early tomatoes not too far away. mmm, I can almost smell the delicious tomatoes!
The day after Oma asked for some broad beans I noticed the first flower so Oma, your broad beans aren't too far away either!
My apple peeler, corer, slicer had a broken handle so Benny surprised me with a new and improved stainless steel handle that he made at work. with all the apple peels and cores (as you can see, apples have been especially popular around here lately) I've started some vinegar
Lately I've been doing some woodworking.
Ive been working on the play stands each time I visit my dads shed and there coming along nicely but last time I decided to have a go at some chopping/snack boards for the day care children.
You see a while ago when i was ridding my kitchen of plastic i got rid of the children's plates. I can be a bit 'ruthlessly efficient' in donating things we don't need, to the point that some times i get rid of things I kind of do need!
So these are used in place of plates now. The idea came from Melanie of Our Ash Grove a few weeks ago.
I made one to represent each of our animals
and then a random sheep because its what I thought of at the time
Dad showed me how to use his edge trimmer to round the edges. Now that i know how to use it I will definitely use it again, it gives such a nice soft finish.
I planned on adding faces with my wood burner when I un pack it but now after seeing the children's way of adding faces I think there perfect just as they are







The breakfast boards are darling and they are on my to-do list now as well. :)
ReplyDeleteI am hoping to get enough pears to can them up too, yours look lovely! The boards are very cute what a wonderful alternative to plastic or melamine plates. I may be trying to make them too. Thanks for the idea.
ReplyDeleteThose boards look great. I love your apple peeler, I could peel for hours using those!
ReplyDeleteWow, I envy your green thumb. I don't do dirt. LOL! Thanks for stopping by my blog.
ReplyDeletewhat a wonderful post. i love the plates.,and am so interested in the pear preserves, thats great they dont need sugar, did they need pectin or anything? we've got a bradford pear tree at the house we are buying for next year,,, icant wait! i used to do all my canning, tomatoes for salsa were a favorite. i grew purple, orange, and yellow tomatoes for this. i love the board plates so so much, would love to do just that for our home. you are so inspiring karen...xoxox
ReplyDeletegosh I just love the chopping boards, so gorgeous :-)
ReplyDeleteoh my gosh i love these! how completely wonderful and adorable and useful!
ReplyDeleteYour garden looks wonderful!! I still need to learn canning, that is something that I would like to do- the shaped plates are great!
ReplyDeleteI love the plates! I recently got a melamine plate each for my girls because we were going through our glass and ceramic dishes alarmingly fast all of a sudden. My older daughter was fine with them as a baby, her little sister.. not so much. ("I'm done! I will throw my plate on the floor to signify the completeness of my meal. WOW that was a nice crash, I should do this more often!")
ReplyDeleteThis is a way better idea! I am going to need to figure out how to do it next time I am at my parent's house and can bother my Dad to show me. :) I've *been* wanting to make some chubby cut out wooden animals for them, so this doesn't seem much different. Thanks for sharing! <3
I have just found your blog...I love it. Love the chopping boards too...we have quite a few of those in our house as each of the children have made them at school. We use them every day.
ReplyDeleteI will be back...so much to read ♥
Clever, clever Karen... I know you gave credit to someone else for this grand idea, but you DID it. Always an encouragement.
ReplyDeleteAnd your pears look delicious. Congratulations on your first canning success!
Blessings, Debbie
these breakfastplates are wonderful.your question about tomatoes David Forster makes very nice chutney etc so he might know Lately you are doing so many different things have you still time to sleep.but keep it up we all love you and are proud.
ReplyDeleteHi
ReplyDeleteI'm just about to re-start my home day care business after a 3yr pause, and my neighbour is a carpenter...
The little animal snack boards are so perfect!
ReplyDeleteAnd preserved pears Mmmm, simply yummy :)
I'm so happy to hear that pears don't need sugar to be preserved! My son gets really hyper from processed sugar, but he's fine with natural sweeteners like honey, so this would be wonderful for us! I'm going to hunt down some pears to try that this weekend, thanks for sharing :)
ReplyDeleteI just found your blog and am love with it. I think that my Dad would cut some boards for my grandchildren if I could find a pattern. Where did you find yours? Also the wood you chose was lovely. What kind is it? Thank you so much.
ReplyDelete