On Saturday and Sunday we walked for a good cause with many others. We were all walking for those who have suffered with cancer. Much money was raised and we pray that it helps make lots of lives longer and happier.
There were many teams walking the relay, work groups, school groups, sporting groups and various other groups of friends. Dad and I joined in the National Australia Bank group with AJ and her co workers. It began at 2pm Saturday and ended 9am Sunday. At all times between those hours three people were walking laps of the football oval. Every half hour the walkers passed their batons to the next three people.
We had shifts of walking for half an hour at 10pm, 2am, 4am, and 7am
There was lots of funds raised. Each resisted walker gained donations before the event and on the day there was food and other goods for sale with most of the money going towards the cause. Along with many others we bought these bags to write messages to our loved ones. A candle goes inside and they lined the walking track with positive messages of love. Each bag was $5 and there were many many bags. They looked beautiful but it was sad to see visually just how many people have had their lives turned upside down by this horrible disease
Messages of hope and cure were spelled out with some of the bags to light the night walkers
During the night there was speeches from courageous cancer survivors who shared their difficult stories. A table was left by the stage with candles burning and textas. by the morning it was filled with sad and loving messages
This was me between turns walking. OK so not really, but I was knitting away at the second arm of my cardigan and now I'm half way through the hood! I had lots of comments about my knitting, a few people completely amazed that I was making it instead of buying a pre-made cardigan:)Here's AJ looking mighty enthusiastic considering I don't think she actually slept at all during the night!
There were piles of sand for weighing down the paper bags, the kids had fun with what was leftover
are my two favourite decorated team tents







Thank you so much for braving the cold dark night with me, it really meant a lot. I still can't believe i raised over $1100. It really hit home when we were walking at 4.30am and my body was tired and aching why we were there, to raise awareness and funds for people that have beaten, are fighting or have lost their life to cancer. Having you and Dad there helped to motivate me to keep going. Love you lots, see you this weekend for Easter xoxoxo
ReplyDeletehi there...I found your blog from a link that turned into a link that turned into a link...:-)...The pictures of the walk are beautiful, such a special cause.
ReplyDeleteIve been scrolling through your previous posts, and loving how well you knit...and seething in jealously (in a good way)...ive recently started my knitting journey, and although I'm not ready to give up just yet...i have a sneaking suspicion i may be crap at it....i should perhaps stick to sewing... :-) ....
How wonderful! My mother-in-law participates with her work (and is currently knitting goodies to raise funds) and has really enjoyed it. My mom was invited by her cancer center to go this year. It looks like so much fun for a great cause!
ReplyDelete