Sunday, September 5, 2010

fathers day

This morning Mum and I made my Dad bacon and eggs and then the two of us went for a walk on the beach.
I have always loved going walking on the beach with my family, I do believe these walks on the beach were were my love of the ocean began. We often went for evening walks on the beach, sometimes we chatted about all that was going on in our lives, other times we quietly walked just appreciating the beauty, power of the waves, sunsets and beach tressures. It was always our happy spot to get away to. No distractions of things that needed doing, just great time together.
Another family beach memory that is incredibly special to me was one summer in which all four of us used to get up super early every day and go for a swim at the beach before our school/work days began. It felt like such complete freedom to be diving into the water while everyone else would be sleeping or getting ready for school 
I havent been to this beach for a long time and I was so incredibly over excited to find sea glass. I have wanted to find sea glass ever since Mum used to read us The Mermaid Princess (by Shirley Barber) in which Sandy the seashore pixie (my fav character) Decorates his sand castle home with sea glass.

It was a wonderful morning at the beach together!
I made the tree waterbottle cover for Dad to say thanks for being the greatest dad! Its for his stainless steel earthlust drink bottle that i got him for christmas. Its about time i made it, hes been using a sock as a cover for the past 8months! I also made Mum the mushroom cover for hers a while back

9 comments:

  1. Awwww i missed fathers day :( i hope you looked after him really well and had a great day. looks like you had fun the beach pics are great.

    see you next weekend xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post :) Beach walks are the perfect way to start the day. And sea glass ... such a wonderful treasure, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walking on the beach sounds so perfect and wonderful to be able to celebrate fathers day with your dad in such a special and meaningful way. I love your photos and the covers for the bottles are such lovely and thoughtful presents, truely special.

    My little Princess and I love Shirley Barber's books as well, sea glass takes me back to my weekends on the beach with my family, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks KJ. You and that ratbag sister of yours are the greatest:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ounds like a lovely way to spend fathers day KJ. I loved that book too when I was a child.
    And I love the water bottle covers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i remember when your mum and dad used to live at glanton st (when i was still at school) your dad and i used to ride down to grange beach - have a swim and then ride back. it was great - and it goes down as one of my fondest memories.

    i really need you to come over and show me how to make those covers - we will be needing them in summer for our drink bottles. maybe in the school holidays???

    l
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Love sea glass. Those water bottle covers are adorable, nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sea glass is beautiful. Great find.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the water bottle covers. I'm inspired.

    ReplyDelete