Thursday, September 16, 2010

This weeks nature activities with my day care children

This week I got a package in the mail from a new etsy friend of mine, Alison of Rumpelfeltskin. I received four pieces of wool felt, a bookmark and a brooch and its all just beautiful! The Autumn leaf bookmark is my favourite, with its tiny little stitches the detail is amazing. The hand dyed felt is so nice and thick, I have about a million things I want to make with it so far, I think I'm going to have to get some more!
The first thing I decided to make was a mini version of our sunflower and bean tee pee for the kids to play with while they wait for our real one to grow.  
I made it by making a cone shape out of paper, tracing around the bottom of the cone to get a circle for the bottom. You can see the shape of my pieces in the picture below. 
I cut these shapes out of my new beautiful green felt and also a piece of  white for extra thickness to help it stand up. I then needle felted on some sunflowers, stitched on some flower stems and details.
This picture Is of it half finished, it got 'borrowed' for some play time. Its lots of fun with these gardening kids and animals that I made (I have some of these for sale in my shop also)  

We've also been reading some gardening books. Our favourite is "And The Good Brown Earth" by Kathy Henderson. Its a lovely book about a little boy called Joe and his grandma gardening throughout the seasons or the year.
We also made some cute little lady bugs with the great tutorial I found at Foxglove Spires
We added our own little touch by stuffing them with some felt scraps and stapling shut.

Here's an action shot
Oh and our nature table... today it looked like this:)

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful colours in that felt, with the dollar being so favourable at the moment, I might have to do a little bit of shopping this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! It looks like those kids are having the BEST time.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea to make a miniature tee pee, it looks like the children had a lot of fun!!

    The lady birds look wonderful and adding some felt is such a great idea, (thanks for mentioning my post!)

    Your little ones look like they have such a wonderful time, you are certainly doing a marvellous job.

    Have a wonderful day. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, looks like you are having such fun!

    I'm always on the lookout for picture books related to gardening; I'll have to check that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope we get to see more of your tiny teepee it looks so cute!

    We love The good brown earth around here. Its higgly piggly fantastic!

    much love
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  6. How very fortunate for these sweet children to be in your care. My cousin lives in Aus. and I'm sure she would be inspired by you. I shall forward her your link.
    sweet blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the tee pee,it looks great with the litle people you made

    ReplyDelete
  8. your little figurines are deeelightful! what a lovely blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great nature table :) I love your felt bean, sunflower house. Our hens took over the bean den this year! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. These pictures are great! It looks like such a fun time!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look like you had a great day and that teepee is so cute! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Karen, your daycare transition is comming along so nicely. I just read through all of your recent posts. You are such an inspiration. I love the idea of that teepee (both the real and felt version) I will certainly be stopping by your shop very soon as your little creations are something I simply need to add to my collection. They are perfect gifts for my handmade holiday as I'm not goin to have much time to make everything myself. Thanks for sharing and keeping in touch.

    Blessings,
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  13. Karen, I would like to pass to you a blog award which was given to me today, when you have some time please visit my blog.

    Have a beautiful day. xxen,

    ReplyDelete
  14. That little felt teepee is SO lovely! I'm a bit of a sucker for anything felt! Love those children of the forest too!
    xo maureen

    ReplyDelete