Saturday, November 5, 2011

weekend knitting

Ever since I made my Tea Leaves Cardi I've been wondering what to make with the left over yarn. There was just less than 100g left which wasn't enough for anything much, or so I thought...
The other day I was knitting up some blue and white striped socks (yes its almost summer here, moving on from the ridiculousness of when my motivation to knit socks seems to come every year:) and it occurred to me that if I added stripes my beloved madelentosh scraps could become some beautiful socks!
I used Silvers sock class , the Two Toe-Up Socks on One Circular Needle Tutorial.
The stripes made for a bit of an extra challenge but they are so worth it, I love them.
Because of the stripes I had 4 balls of wool going at once instead of 2 but i managed fine and they turned out perfect.
I would highly recommend this tutorial, I've also used the "one sock on four double pointed needles tutorial" and both were so incredibly helpful for a beginner like myself.

Once they were done I still had some wool left so I made a start on Christmas decorations.
The teddy was quite simple but a bit fiddly. At least I was forced to have another go at knitting i-cord for the arms and legs. In the past I attempted it once and it didn't work but this time I had no problem at all so I'm pleased to know I can stop avoiding projects with i-cords:)
The stocking is my first attempt at fairisle and it was a perfect little practice piece

10 comments:

  1. Beginner knitter my bum! this stuff is great! I love that yarn, I can see why you didn't want to waste any. Kind of like a strawberry milkshake. Beautiful photos with those pink flowers. It's so nice to think you're sittin down blogging along with me! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are crafty. I only hope that I can get as crafty one day. I look at projects like your socks and just daydream that I could accomplish something like that. They look awesome:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm inspired to make socks again - I tried once but got halfway through and gave it up. The tutorial seems easy to follow so I might have to give it a go. Socks seem like the perfect knitting project for summer and it doesn't drape all over you and it's nice and light!!
    l
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I like your stipey socks... very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I didn't know it was possible to knit two socks at once, talk about learning something new every day! Love the stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow your socks are amazing! Thank you so much for the web site and tips on making socks, I've cast on my first one and I'm pretty excited. Your yarn is WAY prettier, so I'm jealous. I also love the other wee projects, I'm going to make the bear for my daughters, they will love it. A usual, your blog is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I'm itching to try some socks now - and they must have stripes! The little stocking is sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your space is filled with so many lovely things:) Oh, and I totally dig the name you gave your blog! ~ Barefoot Mama

    ReplyDelete