Friday, June 28, 2013

a waldorf rag dolly

Recently I thrifted a pink angora jumper for a few dollars. I decided to make a little soft bodied dolly for all the little girls I look after to cuddle, particularly because they've all started liking to take a doll to bed for nap time but we don't have enough dolls. It turned out that I didn't have any tricot fabric left for a face (or I just couldn't find it in my mess of a craft cupboard) so I used an old cotton t-shirt instead. We carded our own wool for stuffing which was very cheap so all in all this is a very inexpensive doll to make
I cut the body pieces out based on some instructions in Making Waldorf Dolls. I used only one arm of the jumper so there's lots left for other projects. I hand stitched all the pieces and it didn't take long. (What your cotton doesn't look like mine? Im guessing this had some thing to do with one of the cheeky little one year olds:)
I had a good helper with the wool carding. She did a great job and and really stuck with it which was good because its amazing how much you need to card for one little doll
 She was pretty excited when I pulled out Pelles New Suit and saw that they had carders just like ours. I've been meaning to pull it out anyway. With all my recent knitting we've been talking lots about how wool is processed so this book has been well loved today.
 After they went home I sewed on a face and a hat
 and now shes hanging out with her big sister waiting for some cuddles next week

Today was a fabulously foggy day. We almost stayed home because I was worried about rain but Mitch has been asking me every time he comes if we can walk to the playground and every time he comes recently its been raining. I decided to take the umbrella and pram rain cover and hope for the best. It drizzled the tiniest bit, just enough that it was fun but we weren't cold and soggy.

My blanket has been coming along nicely but not so much this afternoon. I can't figure out what happened to one of my circular needles. I'm thinking I may need to start on this (for an under shirt because moths have made on my current one resemble swiss cheese) if it doesn't turn up soon. Or maybe even if it does :)

3 comments:

  1. Ohh you are so clever! She's such a cutie.
    How fun that your daycare kids helped. They must be so proud of themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen
    Sorry so late in responding to your message over on my blog, but Yes I'm am most definitely interested in a photo tutorial for making a doll.
    I have twin boys starting in my daycare in september and if they are anything like the ones I've got already the main attraction will cars and dinosaurs. But never the less I'd still like provide them with a lovely handmade doll, just incase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love her...so sweet...you are indeed clever. I keep meaning to try my hand at one and never quite get there timewise but you have inspired me again!

    ReplyDelete