Thursday, August 15, 2013

lavender and bees morning circle

 I've tried without luck a few times to start a morning circle in the past but I just didn't manage to catch the children's interest. Well to be honest I was a little bit doomed from the start... I have a little boy in care that right from an early age hated music. Weather it was music playing, me and other children singing or even his dad mentioned he demanded each birthday that people stop singing 'happy birthday' to him. I'm not sure if it may be to do with him having possible aspergers? It was one of a few challenging quirks but we adore him:) He would make a fuss about any singing within earshot and the other children would follow and decide they hated singing as weal.
Anyhow, the girls I have now all adore music so I sing with them often and he would ask us to stop. I would tell him that  he was welcome to move away if he didn't feel like listening. By now hes older and much more able to cope with things so to begin with he find a toy and play in the sleep room and now he isn't bothered. I even over hear him singing as he plays now and then:) Its so sweet and its been so nice to see him grow and develop into a big clever and chilled out kindy boy. I've had him since 6 months old. Wow I am getting off topic, anyhow...
 So now that we all like (or at least tolerate:) music I decided to have another go at introducing circle time. The first few times they liked it to start off with but the 3 little girls (recently turned 2) lost interest quickly. I thought about ways to make it work. Here's my tips for anyone else wanting to begin a circle with little ones

*I decided to keep trying it for at least a week to give them time to get used to the new songs. Children love repetition and I know with books the more times I read something the more they love it.

* I started small with two songs and i'm building it up. If they're still with me and enjoying it i add a bit more. It varies from day to day

*The original songs didn't hold their attention because the movements were too much for them so I did easy and repetitive movements. They love ring around the rosie so I included a song with the same tune and movements but changed the words to fit the theme I wanted. They love it

*I chose a theme relevant and familliar. Our lavendar is blooming so theyre always picking flowers from it and where there's lavender there's always bees- which make a fun sound- double points!

*lastly,and I think this has really helped, I tell them a bed time story about 4 children (who evers in care that day) Coming to Apple blossom and looking forward to their special circle time. In the story I talk about how they wait patiently with their 'toes on the purple' of the circle mat, they watch carefully, try their best to make their bodies move just like Karen's and how they all enjoy it. I sing the whole circle time except in a slow soft 'bedtime tone' rather than the playful upbeat morning singing. The day after I begun the bedtime story there was a new enthusiasm. I think it really helped them 'get' what circle time is and understand how they could take part. It also helped the songs become familiar to them and helped me practice which means I do a better job leading.

This all seems like a lot of effort but its been worth it. Now that its established the hardest parts done and I plan to introduce new songs one at a time, swapping old for new until there is a fresh circle so at all times the songs will be mostly familiar. It's been a fun challenge to figure out how to make it work and were all enjoying our circle time.
 Heres our songs at the moment-
sung
Good morning dear earth
(sweep your hands downwards in a semi circle motion)
Good morning dear sun
(make a sun above your head with hands)
Good morning dear trees
(put your arms up like a tree)
And the flowers every one
(gesture flowers in front of you
Good morning dear animals
(Pat a pretend cat on your arm)
And the birds and the beezzzzzzzzzz
(flap your hands like a bird upwards and then one finger wanders down as a buzzy bee. I land the buzzy bee on each of their noses)
Good morning to you
(gesture hands towards group)
And good morning to me
(hands over heart)

Spoken
Buzz buzz buzz theres a litle buzzy bee
And what does he see?
He sees the children....

Sung
Picking all the lavender and putting it in baskets,
Picking all our lavender and putting it in baskets,
Picking all our lavender and putting it in baskets'
All around the bush!
Were picking all the lavender and putting it in baskets,
Picking all our lavender and putting it in baskets,
Picking all our lavender and putting it in baskets'
And making a lavender wreath!


(Walking around the circle pretending to pick and put into imaginary basket, at the end join hands)


Ring around the rosie
A little bush of lavender
the little bees the little bees they all jump down
The bees are in the flowers, drinking all the nectar, 
and when theyve had enough they fly back to their hive
(same tune and actions as traditional ring around a rosie)

spoken
they got back to their hive just in time 
they looked outside and what did they see



sung
Rain is falling down, rain is falling down
pitter patter pitter patter, rain is falling down
Rain is falling down, rain is falling down
softly gently, softly gently, rain is falling down 
('twinkling'fingers from up high to down low throughout song)



Soon to be added (spring is just around the corner in these parts:)

spoken
As the rain cleared up the faries came out and what did they say?


spring is coming, spring is coming
birdies build your nest.
weave together straw and feather
doing each your best.

spring is coming, spring is coming
flowers are waking, too.
daisies, lilies, and daffodils
now are coming through.

spring is coming, spring is coming
all around is fair.
shimmer, glimmer on the meadow,
joy is everywhere.
(with simple actions, 
As you can see from the photos above I planed an activity to make our circle time come to life (and our play room smell exceptionally good:) Today we really were Picking all the lavender and putting it in baskets, and making a lavender wreath!

4 comments:

  1. I love this post. Thanks for all the helpful hints. I had to dismantle my daycare during my pregnancy but I still have daily visits from the neighborhood children. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. karen this reminded me ,I have six children and at one stage also four forsterchildren so it took me a long time to bring them to bed because a few wanted me to sing a story about the things they had done, that day, using their name etc and some of them wanted the same song but I had to sing it twice because each wanted their own song Ye this blog brought me back a long long time seeing you are one of my grandchildren I do very much love the way you look after the children .children are very precious.love Oma

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! We have done lots of lavender and bee explorations, so this was great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your delightful blog tonight! :) Now following you and looking forward to reading my way through your blog and getting to know you ! :) x

    ReplyDelete