I have been wanting for quite some time to get some new silks for Apple Blossom daycare. Our last lot (5 years ago) are still in reasonable condition but I really wanted a few larger ones that can be used for cubbie houses and other things. I also want to make some fairy/butterfly wings, skirts and maybe other costumes but still have enough silks left as is for play. A few months back I opp shopped some fairy costumes and they get played with every single daycare day so I cant wait to make some more dress ups.
The silks arrived in the mail and the apple blossom children were so excited! We only have a few small sized silks so all of these new bigger ones were much fun! Tia tucked herself and teddy in among their silkiness and read teddy a story
It was almost nap time so they went to bed. I had told Mitch that I was going to make the silks colorful. When he woke up he was excitedly looking around saying were are the colors? After a few moments I realized he was looking for the silks thinking that they surely must be done after all that sleeping. He was most disappointing that they were still white as I had only had a chance to wash them ready for dying. He will definitely be pleased when he next comes to see them not only colored but rainbow which is his favorite
After they went home I set to work. I used red, blue and yellow dye , overlapping to get green and orange
here's my first try. It's brighter than I intended and the green isn't an even line but nice still
here are a few more soaking in the dye pots on the stove. I used 'greener shades' dyes whick I find to be great and quite easy
I rinsed them in cold water and hung them out to dry. tomorrow I will share the finished silks as it was too dark for pictures outside by the time I finished







Super fun!
ReplyDeleteThey will have a wonderful time with these!
ReplyDeleteThis is a wonderful explanation on how to tie dye a rainbow silk. Thank you for posting this! Be well.
ReplyDeleteoh my gosh, they turned out wonderful. beautiful.
ReplyDelete