Thursday, October 21, 2010

Day care activity: rainbow chard- from the garden to our table

A while ago I planted some rainbow chard with the day care kids. I had no idea what could be made with it but it sure did look pretty:) Since then its been growing like crazy so I thought id better figure out how to use it! My mum told me it could be used like spinich and also gave me a carton of fresh eggs from her little chickens so I decided to make an egg and spinich slice.
 We harvested lots of gorgeous big leaves
'Washed' them (ie played with them pretending they were boats until Karen stole most of them to cut up) 
 They mixed together 7 eggs each, 1/2 cup of flour, 1/2 cup of cheese and probably about 5 leaves of rainbow chard.
 They then scooped them into muffin trays (usually I would use a slice tray but I knew they would have more fun filling the muffin cups. They turned out just as nice)
 While they had their nap I cooked them.

We enjoyed them in the afternoon and pointed out 'leaves from garden' in them

By the way, ive started a blog to document my family day care, adventures of the little free spirits can be found Here

9 comments:

  1. yummo
    they look great. our rainbow chard became chook food - they ate it all. we did manage to harvest a bit of spinach to eat ourselves, but I think the chooks got most of it :)
    i should make something like this for lunch - and you could do it with zucchini too - mmmm actually the list of ingredients is endless.
    l
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw you are awesome! I love that you set them up to do the whole thing by themselves. *sigh* I really must relax on the whole cooking mess front.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love rainbow chard. The little spirits in your daycare must have great times when they are with you. What a precious mother you will be one day. A very special little person is bound to be waiting for the right time to be with you. Blessings to you, sweet soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great recipe suggestion, and I love the muffin tin idea I have seen this a few times at the local farm shop, but always walk past, so next time I will have to buy some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUm! We love rainbow chard too! it is one of our favorites. The chickens have been enjoying mine a bit too much this year, but i finally fenced it off and it's starting to make a comeback. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rainbow chard is so pretty! It looks like the kids had fun preparing that yummy snack.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard the vegetable called rainbow chard we called it silver beet but then it was mainly green and yes the pies one made with them was very tasty
    Your mum probably likes them too because spinach used to be one of her favorite vegetables and this reminds me of it. The photo,s of the children helping takes me back children very often like helping in the kitchen love Oma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rainbow chard=yum! I got sick of it a couple of years ago, since I seemed to get just pounds and pounds of it every week from our CSA, but now I find that I'm craving it right this second!

    ReplyDelete