Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Day Care Thursday- Washing crystals,wet felting bees and snails, crayon leaf rubbings

***Firstly for anyone hasnt seen it yet (or hasn't gone over to vote today) my Waldorf inspired toy give away is still going on Garden mama, head over and enter to win a $35 voucher for my shop***


Her are some of the things we have been doing this week
 Since I began making Crystal pouches for my shop my crystals have become much loved by the children. I had them in my bedroom before as their not safe for the little ones yet. Ive been getting them out at nap time for the older ones to play with quietly while the little ones sleep. I dont think the little ones have ever enjoy such peace and quiet during their nap:) They love washing them, sorting them, and make all sorts of nice games together.
 Today we made some felted animals. I only planned on making bees as Ive seen tutorials on blogs (sorry I cant remember where) but I was asked 'what about a spider' by a little boy.
 Of course I couldnt turn down a crafty challenge so I helped him make two different spiders. one is four pieces of thick black wool knotted several times (the knot makes the body ) The bigger yellow one was made from a chunk of fleece. We knotted the middle a few times to form the head, I needle felted on some black wool for eyes and helped him divide the legs which he wet felted. They turned out quite cute, they'd make a nice Halloween decoration too.
 I knew that they would be most excited to dangle them (you will notice many things we make have string attatched for dangling them, its always requested by the children!) so I drilled tiny holes in pop sticks and attatched some of the rainbow cotton that I dyed the other day to the stick and then each animal. 

Weve also collected all sorts of leaves from the garden to do leaf rubbing. They were rather excited that they could nibble on the leaves that had come from the veggie patch (not that they ate them, they just thought it was novel:)
I recieved another gorgeous package from my super tallented friend Alison of Rumpelfeltskin  in the mail yesterday! I ordered four pieces of her rainbow felt and the adorable little girls crown and she was so kind as to gift me the adorable little boys crown pictured in the first photo!
For those of you in Australia, Alison will be sharing a pattern for one of her christmas felt crafts in Australian Homespun Magazine next month!!! (Im so excited, I cant wait to see it!) 
As you can see I cut straight into the rainbow felt and the children love the pretty felt pieces already without me even having to turn it into any thing! 

17 comments:

  1. KJ
    Excellent as usual! Picking up your purchase tonight
    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, Thanks Dad I cant wait to get my spinning wheel (oh and figure out how to use it!!!) I will be eagerly awaiting

    ReplyDelete
  3. spinning wheel!! oh k, you are my kinda gal. xo
    ps. yes i got the bach lollies from our local chemist here. ive tried a few and i like them. good thing for the el'purso. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. your family day care kids are so lucky (as are their parents). not only do they get to have so much fun in your house - but it's all good for them too :)
    tell benny that the pub was a great recommendation - we all loved our meals.
    can't wait to catch up again soon
    l
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sweet of her to send you the boys crown. Her rainbow felt is pretty awesome, I'm going to have to order some myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen it looks like you are having another wonderful week and your parcel looks beautiful, I think its exciting to receive treasures in the post!

    Have a beautiful Friday. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh very cute pictures of the little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Karen
    Thanks for your comment over at my blog. Have you received your spinning wheel by now! How exciting for you! Post pictures! I am sure you will just love spinning when you get going. The best tip I can give is try to find someone who can give you a quick demonstration. Spinning on a spinning wheel can be a bit difficult if you haven't done any spinning before on a drop spindle. I got my wheel from a lady who had been spinning for over 40 years. She gave me a 20 minute demonstration and a quick go. Afer that, I tried to follow youtube videos and read step by step books but what helped the most was that short demonstration with that wonderful lady. Then just persevere - half an hour a day if you can to begin with and you will very quickly get the hang of it. Happy spinning. It is very rewarding! Children just love to watch that wheel turn. My boys love it!
    Best wishes
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  9. That rainbow felt is beautiful! Your daycare looks like such a wonderful place for children.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your shop has the cutest things. I love your crystal pouches & the rainbow felt is my new favorite felt. Its amazingly beautiful. love.love.love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The kids are so adorable, as is the fuzzy yellow spider. I'm also very jealous of the felt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Karen,
    What a lovely blog post:) Thank you for sharing on Creative Friday.
    Take care
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Karen, just thought Id stop by to check out what oyu have been doing on your creative Friday, looks like heaps of fun, for oyu and the kiddies! Love the rainbow felt too. I think I will be back here regularly to visit you :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful rainbow felt ...
    I love rainbows...:)

    Cute felt spiders....:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful stuff. love spiders so they're my fave.

    wish my child could attend your day care!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so excited to find you, my friend and I also have our own in home childcares and are also waldorf inspired. I homeschool my oldest as well. We have similar projects, it was so much fun to see your little troop doing and living the same things. We just started recording our days in this blog
    www.thenurturedlife.blogspot.com

    thanks for sharing.
    blessings,
    sherene

    ReplyDelete