Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Spring Adventures

 Yesterday after lunch I drove to Oma and Opas. I took along some crisp green broad beans from my veggie patch to share.
 We had a really nice day. When I got there Jo was there so we had a nice chat and spent some time together as weal. I had some lunch and then got out the spinning wheel to have a look. Between us and with a little help from you tube we managed to figure out my spinning wheel. Its now working with a little improvisation, here's what we did-
*Opa oiled some of its bits
*Its missing a rope thingy that goes between the big wheel and little wheel (yes super technical, you can tell I know what I'm on about) but I tied a piece of wool which is doing the job for now.
*The wheel turns a bit wonky and could do with re gluing but works OK for now
*A little piece of leather near the foot pedal broke so Benny cut a piece off his old belt to size to replace it.
Ive had a little go at spinning some wool and I'm getting the hang of it, its a lot of fun so far!

Oma re taught me how to knit a better way as my way was hurting my hands. Ah much better! Im almost finished my green cardi, will share pics soon

Madi, Daniel and Dad all came for tea. We had spaghetti, soup and apple tart for tea, Yum!
Here is a picture of their garden full of spring beauty. I would have loved to take the spinning wheel outside to fiddle with but it was far too wet.
I love this garden. Some of my favourite memories of it are eating meals together at the outdoor tables and swimming in the pool they used to have. Its always been an extra fun place to have Easter egg hunts, I have lots of cousins so there are always loads of eggs to find. This Easter I got to be the 'easter bunny' which was really fun:)

The wheel has been keeping the littles well entertained today (look at that little foot trying to work it, cute:) I can tell from the descriptions in my comments last post that were going to really love Pelle's new suit, it sounds great!

7 comments:

  1. Nice broad beans, Karen, mine are still quite small. Can't wait to see what you come up with once you get the hang of spinning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That garden is glorious! Maybe some day I'll take the plunge and try my hand at spinning - it's probably a far off day, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks lovely! Our garden season is coming to an end here in New England, but I do have some more roses waiting to bloom. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Oma and your mum spinning - it's quite soothing really. I would like to try it one day, but I will wait until you are an expert and then I will get you to show me.
    I'm glad you have solved the problem with your hand and knitting. I didn't think it would cause a problem for you, but I'm glad you solved the problem! I have about 10 inches left to knit on my cardigan and then it will be done! Can't wait. I might have to learn about blocking though....
    l
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've got your wheel going and now you have started spinning - hooray for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I'd love a spinning wheel, sounds like so much fun!
    Are your Oma and Opa german? My Omi was German :)
    They have an absolutly beautiful garden. My favourite kind of garden, lush and brimming with different kinds of plants and flowers.
    Have a great day!
    ~suzy

    ReplyDelete