Tuesday, April 12, 2011

ever so slightly wonky beeswax candles:)

The cold weather has hit us all of a sudden since weve been back from our holiday. The mornings and evenings are darkening and I couldnt think of anything cozier than snuggling up in a quilt with a warm chai tea and a candle radiating warmth and light (and of course a craft project in my lap, but that goes without saying right?)

I decided to have a second go at hand dipping some candles. Last time I used a tin can which leaked wax into the water pot. This time I used the tallest jar I had which worked well to make small candles. I want to search opp shops for a tall skinny flower vase as I think it would work well for making tall candles without having to fill a giant pot!
This was my candle making rig-up. A plank of woon for candles to hang over between dippings, al foil to catch drips (to be re-used)


The wax looked and smelled so much like honey I almost wanted to spread it on toast!
Here they are as they were getting a little fatter. Although its a sign that im new to candle making, I happen to love how wonky they all are! Each has their own litle personality:)
You can see in this picture that the wax jar is going solid. Throughout the process I was regularly re warming it and topping up the wax to keep it full.

As a tip for anyone who also finds it difficult to cut into a big solid slab of beeswax, after I was finished I poured the remaining beeswax onto the alfoil. After it cooled I could peel it off and easily break it into small pieces to be easily melted next time. 
Once they were cooled I didnt want to put them in my cupboard so instead I hung them over a curtain rod so that I can enjoy them all.
While on this picture of the bookshelf ill tell you how our day care rhythum has clicked into place.
Up until recently our art supplies have been on the second to top shelf. The table is next to it meaning that the children could stand on their chair and grab what ever they felt like doing or if not, point to it and id get it down for them. This meant I would be constantly getting out and putting away 4 different craft activities numerous times a day! Of course with this much free range they didnt all want to come together for our activity of the day as they knew they could do it whenever they pleased.
 I decided to move the art supplies to the top shelf. Now things are 'out of sight, out of mind' until I pull them out on the right day, and we all sit down to enjoy them together. Ive also found some verses to sing for some of the activities which makes the activity all the more fun:) They are written on the painted cards at the back of the art shelf.
When I first heard of waldorf rhythums I thought they sounded nice but  a lot of work and comitment. Now I see how they realy can simplify life and make things run smoother.


8 comments:

  1. Oooh! They're *gorgeous!*

    I've been so intimidated by candle dipping. Some day soon I hope to overcome my fears and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes go on, give it a try! I just found tutorials on google and then gave it a try. Its a little tricky to start with but realy fun:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautiful day. i too have been looking into using my beeswax block for some candles, what did you use for wicking? did you buy it online?xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your candles! I've always wanted to try making them (and about a million other things out of melted beeswax), but I've been a bit intimidated also!

    Congratulations on your success!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yours turned out lovely and thick. We always make thin wonky ones...it's more about the fun making them and the delicious beeswax aroma throughout the house. Very pretty.
    Love your holiday snapshots to.. looks like you all had an amazing time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm...I love the smell beeswax. Thanks for sharing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They came out so beautiful! I've been wanting to try this.

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a lot of fun!! But I might just leave this up to the experts....

    ReplyDelete